What causes blackheads in ear? Can you get a painful blackhead or blackheads in your ears? Attempts to remove these unsightly zits in ears cannot be a bed of roses especially when you want to do it by yourself. Find out on what basis you should choose products, treatments or remedies to help you fight blackheads.
To tell whether you really have them in ear canals can be challenging. First though, here are possible reasons for occurrence of ear blackheads.
Causes of blackheads in ear
- 1 Causes of blackheads in ear
- 2 Signs of ear blackheads
- 3 Painful blackhead in ear
- 4 Treatment for ear blackheads
- 5 Best removal products for blackheads in ear
- 6 Can you remove blackheads from your ears overnight?
- 7 Remedies and removal DIYs for blackheads on ears
- 8 Risky or dangerous ear blackhead removal methods
- 9 Best ideas for ear blackheads
- 10 Check the video on blackheads in ear removal
What does it mean to have blackheads in your ears? Blackheads are majorly caused by too much oil (sebum) produced by sebaceous glands. Besides, there are other factors that trigger over production of sebum. These include:
- A build-up of propionibacterium acnes
- Irritation of hair follicles
- Improper disintegration of dead skin cells
- Changes in hormones especially in menopausal women
- Onset of puberty
- Use of birth control pills
- Practicing beauty cosmetics using bad ideas, etc.
- Influence of certain medications
Blackheads behind ears, in front ear or in ear canals does not mean that your ear is dirty. Neither is formation of these unsightly zits a superstition or myth that for instance you have been witched. Not at all!
However, accumulation of dirt with sweat and dead skin cells can mean a lot in terms of formation of blackheads.
Signs of ear blackheads
Blackheads can easily be identified if they form behind the ears or on the front outer parts such as the concha. Dark spot with tiny opening is more evident. However, there could be no pain as it is in the case of ear pimples.
Anyone is susceptible of ear blackheads but is common among the middle-aged youths and adults.
Painful blackhead in ear
Can you get a painful blackhead in your ear? In most cases blackheads produce painless symptoms. In case you start to experience pain, it could be more likely a sign of an infection or you forced extraction tools in the ear canal, causing injury in the event.
Sometimes, pain may indicate an infection of the ear blackheads that in turn they have become huge or big. This causes some ear discomfort especially if it occurs in ear canals.
Treatment for ear blackheads
Treatment for the purpose of getting rid of blackheads is meant to deal with triggers such as hormones and hormonal disorders.
If you have stubborn blackheads in ears, seek this advanced treatment from an expert. According to Skincare Sisters web site, chemical exfoliation as a treatment allows for exfoliating acids down your pores and penetrate the skin for a complete cleansing.
Like other acne forms, blackheads in ears that keep on beckoning your skin can also be treated in a similar manner. Professionals in skin care and dermatologists recommend strength-prescription depending on severity of acne and its symptoms.
Common acne treatments include retinol or vitamin A-based medications such as tretinoin, tazarotene, and adapalene. Medications are very effective but can take some time for you to start experiencing real results.
Treatments for acne are available over the counter or as prescription as we have stated. Keep in mind that aggressive self-treatments using chemicals can be dangerous.
Other practices to aid removal of blackheads from the ears (skin care routine)
In addition to treatment for ear blackheads below are recommended skincare routine if you want deal with the problem in quite a manageable way.
The skin covering the ear cartilage is rather thin. Therefore gentle exfoliation is all you need. Exfoliation in your ears can be achieved by using mild substances like glycolic acid. Glycolic acid is better for the ear cartilage and the surrounding skin that is nearby.
Instead of cleaning your ears manually with water, use mild cleanser products only to double the efforts of removing dead cells and dirt collected in ears. While cleansing, always remember to go gentle. Equally, use a soft washcloth.
Depending on your skin pore size, applying benzoyl peroxide after your daily skin care routine can significantly reduce or shrink them.
CAUTION: Apply benzoyl peroxide on different body areas with caution.
Best removal products for blackheads in ear
Trying to get the right products to help you zap away the unsightly zits around ears may not be straight forward. Even though some make it through by simple trial and error but for some people this trick never works.
Before we look into how products help fight acne and blackheads, here is what you need to know for a good selection of treatment/removal products.
- Know the trigger or try to understand why your skin is producing too many oils
- Consult a dermatologist before using any product form the market
- If your family members have an acne history
- Stop procrastinating. This simply means you practice hygiene by following proper procedures like removal of makeup in order to retain the qualities of your purchased products at right standards
- To optimally utilize skin care products, begin with a light layer but be consistent
- Be a wise shopper! Take your time to make good selection of products that suit your skin type or condition
Best cleanser products
Gentle cleanser with naturally formulated ingredients should be used for any type of skin. Most cleansers act by removing excess oil, dirt mixed with sweat and dead cells. Cleansers help unclog the skin pores due to cosmetics that may creep to settle in during a sweaty day. This helps keep the skin clean.
Here is a list of dermatologically tested brands of cleansers. Some of the best formulated cleanser products include:
- More Than Clean by Vi-Tae™
- Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay Deep Pore Cleansing
- Biore Warming Anti-Blackhead Cleanser
Another best removal product is acne wash. Facial or acne wash enhance dissolving the excess oil (sebum) produced by sebaceous glands. Dermatologists prefer oil-free acne washes for the purposes of dealing with blackheads at the back or in outer ear parts.
Exfoliating scrubs and creams
Homemade scrubs are best for a sensitive skin but if you are opposed to these ones, you may go for the less harsh creams. Some of the commercial scrubs or exfoliating creams with multiple agents (such as a combined scrub and skin cleanser) are better options for blackheads on ears that keep plugging the pores.
Try Bioré Baking Soda Acne Scrub.
Most clay masks are available as facial products but some masks with specialized ingredients can do an extra pore cleansing. Try
- Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay
- Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay Deep Pore Cleansing
- Dead Sea Mud Mask by Pure Body Naturals™.
Can you remove blackheads from your ears overnight?
How fast or quick can you get rid of blackheads in your ears?
The fast and quickest methods of removing ear blackheads have temporal results – meaning that the pores will fill again – and this cannot provide a solution at the end of the day.
Surprisingly, you can remove those zits if you adequately prepare and “cleanse” your skin. More importantly, this may be determined by the condition of the skin around your ear cartilage (including the fossa, concha, scapha, antitragus and anti-helical fold).
Remedies and removal DIYs for blackheads on ears
Have you tried investing in homemade procedures to see whether it is meaningful in some way? Well, some people who give a trial say remedies can be helpful and others not. A majority may be dissatisfied with home remedies since they are slow to acting. Anyway, you have to be consistent and a little patient.
Interestingly, some DIY tricks can also be looked at as means of preparing the skin for other removal or self-treatments. These are some of the simple home remedies for blackheads on the ears.
Lemon juice + baking soda
Lemon has citric acid which is an alpha hydroxyl – for the purposes of natural exfoliation.
Ingredients – what you need
- 1/4 tablespoon lemon juice or fresh lemon
- Baking soda (NOT baking powder)
- Small bowl
- Some water (1 glass)
- Add 1/4 or so baking soda in bowl
- Add 5 drops of freshly extracted lemon juice
- Mix to paste and apply around the ears
- Leave the paste to dry out and wash
- Wash off with warm water
- Repeat every day
Lemon juice + essential oil + tea tree oil
Moving on, this natural remedy is a clever trick especially when done as an overnight procedure.
- Add a few drops of fresh lemon juice to your favorite essential oil (coconut, Shea butter oil, etc.)
- Soak it with 4 drops of saturated tea tree oil
- Clean your hands and dry them
- Dip a small piece of cotton bud or pad
- Squeeze out the excess oil
- Place it in the ear cartilage (before your sleep time)
- Allow it to sit on the visible area overnight
- Wash and wipe in the morning
Repeat the procedure once each day.
Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil is an optional remedy. Its antibacterial property helps in keeping germs and infection causing bacteria at bay. It is also beneficial in disinfecting the pores.
Pick on an essential oil based tea tree oil for other skin benefits. You can use tea tree oil daily without any problems. It can also be used as an overnight remedy.
In your daily procedure do the following.
- Dip a small cotton ball in dilute tea tree oil
- Squeeze the excess oil
- Apply on the visible dark spots around the ear cartilage (behind and on the inside of ear)
- If you have to leave it on overnight, use a small amount in your ears
- Ensure to remove the cotton balls and wipe your ears very well with damp wash cloth
In addition, consider warm compressing or steaming to open up the pores and increase workability of these homemade procedures.
NOTE: These remedies are not at least a guarantee you will banish and ditch those ear blackheads for good.
Risky or dangerous ear blackhead removal methods
In point of view, some claimed-to-be techniques are not appropriate for removing blackheads especially from ear canals. Nevertheless, even if you have few as possible blackheads or symptoms on outer region of your ears avoid using these removal methods/self-treatments.
Certain remover or comedone extraction tools may be used to squeeze out blackheads on other areas like on the chin. Why are tools used to discourage in ears?
- Hurting if applied forcefully or with aggression
- Tools can lead to damage of delicate ear parts when inserted
- Continued use of tools can be a risk of ear infections
If you want to be on the safer side with extraction using tools, then the ultimate solution is to see a professional to help you extract and give advice on how to zap them away.
Some people with ingrained attitude may think squeezing can be a solution to blackheads. Sorry to say so, but though tempting, squeezing can cause infection, bruising and above all it can be painful (more so with fingernails).
For that reason, never pop a zit in your ear however much you think it might be a pimple.
For its sake and for the sake of your health, stop using cotton swabs claiming you are cleaning. Why?
- Swabs can push earwax and dead skin sheds further into the ear canals
- It can irritate the ear canal lining
Scratching with fingernails
Doing this may not only lead to a possible infection but also increases the chances that your ears will become more likely irritated or physically damaged.
Best ideas for ear blackheads
To sum up, desist from use of tools in attempts to remove blackheads in your ear. If you have zits inside your ear, it is safe to see an ear specialist. Self-treatments should be done under proper guidance of a physician. If your blackheads become so stubborn, seek advice before you go for advanced medical treatments.
Check the video on blackheads in ear removal
- 19 Powerful Products That Zap Away Blackheads. NEWBEAUTY. https://www.newbeauty.com/slideshow/1814-most-advanced-blackhead-removing-products/2
- Blackheads in Ear: How to Get Rid of It in 7 Days? Kezaro
- Are There Any Chances of Improvement For Better Skin in 40s and 50s?
- The best ways to get rid of blackheads in ear. Skincare Sisters
- Skin care tips and unbiased product reviews – SKINCAREQC